abril 05, 2007

Sugestão de leitura

There's time to spare. This is one of the things I wasn't prepare for - the amount of unfilled time, the long parentheses of nothing. Time as white sound. If only I could embroider. Weave, knit, something to do with my hands. I want a cigarette. I remember walking in art galleries, through the nineteen century: the obsession they had with harems. Dozens of paintings of harems, fat women lolling on divans, turbans on their heads or velvet caps, being fanned with peacock tails, a eunuch in the background standing guard. Studies of sedentary flesh, painted by men who'd never been there. These pictures were supposed to be erotic, and I thought they were, at the time, but I see now what they were really about. They were paintings about suspended animation; about waiting, about objects not in use. They were paintings about boredom.

But maybe boredom is erotic, when women do it, for men. Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

1 comentário:

Isabela Figueiredo disse...

É uma ideia interessante, esta. Não que esteja muito de acordo, mas não deixa de ser interessante pensar que esses quadros não foram pintados enquanto representação da terra prometida.